Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:18:48 EDT

Thank you William.

In a message dated 4/27/02 8:51:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
w_gower@sympatico.ca writes:

> About a week ago I returned from visiting my Grandmother, who is 91
>  years old and my last remaining grandparent.
  <snip>
>  What I didn't expect to find however, was the boxes of old photographs.
>  4 large boxes FULL of old pictures.  And I mean old, <snip> at least
>  circa 1890's. These are pictures of not only my father and grandfather
>  and my great-grandfather, but my great-great-grandfather. <snip>

>  Where am I going with this ?  Are your great-great grandchildren going to
be
>  holding one of your digital inkjet prints 100 years from now just because
Epson or
>  someone like Henry Wilhelm says you should experience no significant
fading
>  under proper storage conditions ?
>
>  Do you expect that electronic manufacturers will continue to build
>  technology to support the CD and DVD formats 50 years from now, or are
>  they going to be the technological equivalent of the 8 track tape, 45
>  RPM disk or wax cylinder recording ?
>
>  Digital may be more efficient  = more images. I'm thinking now that
>  digital = the potential for more images lost.

..........At the LHSA Annual meeting in Boston October 2000 I won a
Leica/Fuji digital in the raffle. I fiddled with it and quickly sold it.
Reading the discussion here, I had started to think that perhaps my affinity
for silver halide and aversion to digital was based on an irrational and
old-fashioned nostalgia. William's tale has removed all doubt.

I understand Tina's position. If I had a gezillion unscanned images that I
knew I had to scan, I would probably feel similarly. I don't. And my
"archive" isn't going to contain every frame I ever shot. I pitch what I
don't like and keep what I do. But I do want what I keep to keep. William's
message has settled the discussion for me.

Vive Kodak, Ilford, Agfa, Fuji!

My 2c.

Seth     LaK 9