Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit 50/1.5
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:25:35 -0400 (EDT)

The Summarit is not that exciting.  Like a lot of Planars of that era, it
is essentially an f/8 lens that can also be shot at f/1.5 if necessary.
The Xenon it came from is not a shooter's lens.

If your main goal is to get a Leica product, you can't buy any f/1.5
product made before the Summilux that is going to compete with
Zeiss, Nikon or Canon.  The Summilux was the first lens that started to
overtake Zeiss.

These are, IME, the lenses and their optimizations:
Canon 50/1.2 (1956) - open and close - peaks at f/5.6
Nikkor 50/1.4 (1951) - open and close -  peaks at f/4
Canon 50/1.5 (1949) - open and mid-range - peaks at f/5.6
Zeiss Opton 50/1.5 (1946) - open and mid-range - peaks at f/4
Summitar 50/1.5 (1951?) - mid-aperture, mid range - peaks at f/5.6-8
Voigtlander Nokton (2000) - mid-aperture, mide range - peaks at f/8

By "close," I mean about a meter.  By mid-range, I mean 3-5m.
Interestingly, all of these cost about the same amount.

In terms of effective speed, I don't think the new Nokton is as fast as
one of the old Sonnar-types (which typically peak at f/4-5.6), because it hits
the top of its performance (which is about the same 100 lp/mm) one to two
stops smaller.

Of these, my favorite is the Nikkor - why on earth would you get a
high-speed lens and shoot it stopped down?  Fast lenses stopped down are
never as good as slow lenses.  The key limitation with the Nikkor and the
Canon 1.2 is plane of focus curvature, which translates into big flare
wide open at infinity.

Cheers
Dante Stella