Subject: Re: [Leica] Gerry does it again (long)
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:08:03 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Roland Smith <roland@dnai.com> wrote:
> Hello John:
>
> Was the problem the quality of the M4-2 as produced or the
> quality of the
> earlier repairs?
>
> I have two M4-2s that seem to function well.  If they are OK
> so far, should
> I anticipate problems in the near future?
>
> Roland Smith
> Oakland, California

    I think John has given us two big clues.
1.  The motor drive coupling was worn out
2.  Repairs of questionable quality before his purchase.

    As has been mentioned by others, changing the gear trains to
steel also changed the "feel" of winding on the film.  Some
perceive this as diminished quality.

    This message made possible by magnetically accelrated
electrons    -    a bunch of real speed freaks