Subject: Re: [Leica] alaska...
From: "G. Michael Clark" <clarkgmorph@utk.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:03:18 -0400

>Your thoughts appreciated....as I am making plans for an Alaskan
>trip/cruise...
>Cruisewest/Prince Edward Sound... I wonder if others could comment
>about  photography in
>this setting......possibly  their  own experiences,  and   the need
>for  long lenses (
>focal length)  and best  film choices...   ?  thanks,  Steve
>

>              kididdoc@cox.net
>

>--

I went all the way from Seattle (to Sitka, Pelican, etc.) on the
Alaska Marine Railway (state ferryboat system) and  135 mm was the
longest lens I needed for scenics. But if you are interested in
wildlife, etc., then I defer to those with experience in that area.
For example, with long telephotos you'll need fast film. A 28 mm or
35 mm is handy when the ship goes through narrow passages. For
especially long-distance scenics, you'll need all the contrast you
can get, except for brilliant, clear days.