Subject: Re: [Leica] Gerry does it again
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:48:28 -0600

For a list of M4-2 serial numbers go to Stephen Gandy's excellent site;

http://www.cameraquest.com/mtype.htm

As to when early ends and the problems disappear, that is a good
question. I had a late M4-2 in the 153x xxx range (second to last batch)
and it was fine and Gerry was happy to work on it. My present one is
1480814 which puts it in the very first batch of regular production. One
thing you can say for sure is that the M4-P is fine and suitable for
using a winder/motor on. The M4-P has a the new style of winder/motor
mech that is reliable. I would not use a winder/motor on a M4-2 unless
you have it updated with the M4-P parts. Remember my problems are a
combination of early production and previously done ham fisted repairs.

John Collier