Subject: [Leica] AA on PBS
From: "Oliver Bryk" <oliverbryk@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 03:09:08 -0700

Mark Rabiner wrote:
"Ansel used heavy filtration when shooting to alter and enhance that view
as well."
I don't agree with that general statement. I remember quite well how AA
emphasized (in a workshop I attended in 1975) that the photographer had to
have a valid and specific reason for using a filter, if one was necessary at
all, to achieve the visualized result.
See also AA's "The Negative", Basic Photo 2, Morgan & Morgan 1968, p.8: "A
good basic rule for the application of filters: Use filters conservatively,
and only when you know what can be done with them. Much thoughtful
experimentation is necessary for the intelligent use of filters."
Oliver Bryk