Subject: [Leica] Velvia, Velvia, Velvia - darn, momma, don't take my Kodachrome away.
From: "Aram Langhans" <langhans@yakima-wa.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:15:36 -0700

So I was running low on my beloved Kodachrome and I asked someone in our
local camera club if I could buy a roll of Velvia from them.  I wanted to
try it out before ordering more film.  It seems like everyone in the club is
using Velvia now.  This club is mostly nature photography (Yakima
Cascadians). I am the lone holdout.  Some are using Ektachrome of one
variety or another.  While their slides are nice, I think mine are just as
good.  I arrogantly attribute that to my expensive Leica R glass and their
consumer grade Nikon or Canon glass :-)  The properties of Velvia being the
great equalizer, as it were.

So I shot the roll and sent it off. I was expecting rather garish color from
what I have heard.  It was just an experiment, after all.  I didn't even
over expose a bit to flatten it.  Shot it at straight ISO50.  I was sure I
would be buying more Kodachrome, even if I have to wait 2-3 weeks for the
slides to be returned.

Our local shop had the roll ready in less than 24 hours.  I had the slides
mounted and sleeved rather than boxed.  I held up the sleeve and WOW!  They
look too good.  Nice and sharp, fine grain, good colors that seem to be
fairly accurate.  Were were those oversaturated unnatural colors?  My
subject was mostly flowers as Spring seems to have finally arrived to the
Eastern portion of the Northwest (the dry side of Washington).

So I scanned a few.  They seem to scan much easier than Kodachrome.  I am
using Vuescan and I set it for generic slides, as there is no Fuji setting,
and with very little color correction they came out great.  Why it is easier
to get good scans with this film I don't know, but it is.  I did notice a
lot more dust of the fine variety that doesn't seem to blow off.  Maybe
processing?  My Kodachrome, while having a fair amount of cardboard fibers
from the mounts, never has any dust that won't blow off.

So, now, would someone please talk me out of buying Velvia?  It can even be
bought in 100' rolls which would make it much cheaper than K-64.  But
Kodachrome lasts so much longer.  There is that arrogant streak thinking
that someone will be intersted in my photos 50 years from now.  If I'm
around then I'll be over 100 and drooling all over them.  Please come to my
aid.  I need professional help.  I don't want to experience withdrawals.  I
even love the smell of Kodachrome.  Momma, don't take my Kodachrome away!!!

Aram "troubled in Naches" Langhans

This message is made of 100% recycled electrons.  No new atoms were
destroyed in making it.

Aram Langhans
Science Teacher, Naches High School
101 W. 5th. St / P. O. Box 159