Subject: [Leica] multicode DVD stuff
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

In regard to multicode DVD players, there are a number on the market that
both play all regional codes AND convert PAL to NTSC or vice versa.
Althought Apex players were the machies of choice a couple of years ago,
the most popular among DVD mavens now seem to be the Sampo and Daewoo
models, as their conversion can be done simply by means of accessing
hidden menus.  You can buy one of these off the shelf for less than $100
U.S. and do it yourself, or pay as much as 2 to 3 times the price to buy
one that has had this done for you by some merchant.  The Daewoo models
tend to have better connectivity than the Sampos, so I'd give them a
slight edge.  Not every model put out by these manufacturers is as
easily converted.  I'm using a Daewoo 3000N (sold in Canada as an
Electrohome 8181 -- for Canadian luggers, this is being closed out at
CostCo for a pittance) and can play DVDs from Region 1 and 2 with no
problem at all on a regular NTSC television. I believe that the current
models to go for are the Daewoo 5700 and 5800.

There is an entire subculture out there on the internet of people devoted
to getting around things like the regional codes and macrovision.
Macrovision is a system that is designed to elminate copying, but is often
disabled by DVD users because it can have an adverse effect on the image.
Often macrovision disabling is referred to euphemistically as "VCR
friendly", which seems to indicate that not all macrovision disabling is
done for purposes of improving the image.

You might want to check out http://www.dvd-wizards.com for more
information than you would have believed possible on this.

Mark