Subject: RE: [Leica] DVD region codes (was Ansel Adams on PBS TV)
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:19:54 -0400

> With the next wave of players the
> modification became a firmware upgrade - new software was
> downloaded to the
> player and this took minutes without the need to open up the machine.

Joseph,

How does that work?  What does one hook up to so that the cover doesn't have
to come off, to download the new firmware?

I agree it's firmware, but I don't agree it's just "downloaded" without
opening the cover, there is no port on the box that allows that, at least on
my DVD.  I believe it's a mask programmed PROM on a PCB in the box, and it
has to be replaced.  The manufacturers aren't going to use FLASH or EEPROM
for program storage since they are expensive, and the profit margins on
these boxes is tight.

Austin

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] DVD region codes (was Ansel Adams on PBS TV))