Subject: [Leica] personal attacks
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:07:06 -0700

Without resorting to the use of automatic pistols, I've often wondered how to get people on the LUG to behave. Some context:

Besides the various camera lists that are hosted on my computers, I also manage a number of church email communities. Maybe one of the reasons I'm so lenient with the misbehavior on the LUG is that, by comparison with people arguing about the Middle East, you folks are dignified and polite. Well, no, there's no comparison that makes some of you polite, but even the vituperous personal attacks on the LUG are low-key by comparison with what you see when people get angry and upset on church lists.

On one forum that had quite degenerated into madness, we deleted the list and started a new one with a new name, and made everybody who wanted to come over to the new one sign a pledge of good behavior. And, at the bottom of every message, we add this tag:

    --
    Strive for justice and peace among all people,
    and respect the dignity of every human being.