Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: David Hamilton
From: brad daly <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 22:03:24 -0500

On Friday, April 19, 2002, at 07:45  PM, Photo Phreak wrote:

>     I could be wrong, but I think his stuff disappeared from
> most US bookstores after Reagan/Meese and the other anal
> retentives came to power.

i've seen hamilton and sturges in bookstores very recently, though not
here in bamalama.  a few years ago, our politically-ambitious
fundamentalist attorney general charged barnes & noble with distribution
of child pornography for carrying hamilton, sturges, and, get this,
sally mann.  they ultimately reached some sort of settlement whereby b&n
could still sell the books but would agree to keep them behind the
counter, a la playboy/penthouse/etc.  one of my former professors makes
a point of asking to see them each and every time he goes into b&n.  our
idiot AG, of course, knew his case wouldn't stand a chance under
constitutional scrutiny--hell, i bet even thomas and scalia would side
with the 1st amendment on that one if the supremes had even agreed to
hear such an obviously agregious case--but he wanted to garner support
from my good and intelligent fellow bamians.

i just tonight looked through a copy of sally mann's 'at twelve' at a
chain bookstore.  i guess she's been liberated.

speaking of anal retentives--or, probably more accurately--anuses,
howbout that john ashcroft?  i feel so safe knowing he's looking over my
shoulder.  from roger ebert:

"Note: The restored Director's Cut of "Amadeus" opens Friday at the
Landmark Century, and is in revival around the country. The one brief
scene of Constanze's breasts, in medium-long shot, has inspired the
flywheels at the MPAA to re-rate the movie R from its original PG. Thus
high school students are discouraged from seeing this movie. Our rating
system is held hostage by sick crypto-moralists. Surely PG-13 would have
been adequate to advise parents of this scene, while acknowledging that
anyone over 13 in America who is alarmed by the simple sight of a
woman's breasts is in need of counseling (I include our attorney
general)."

- --
brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly/paw.html

"America sells everything with sex and then recoils when presented with
the realities of natural process."
	--Jock Sturges

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

All my family problems disappeared overnight.
We're all takin' Zoloft, and everything is fine.
My sister's teen angst just flew out the window.
Momma's so happy, she laughs all the time.
	--Patterson Hood