Subject: [Leica] Re: Flowers And Lighting
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:33:44 -0700

At 08:49 AM 4/18/2002 -0400, Ginex, Mike wrote:
>How does one setup studio lights shooting closeups of flowers?  Is use of
>the flash at all a choice or even possible (especially when getting really
>close )?
>
>Always grateful,
>Mike Ginex

A soft box, minimum size 1' x 2', from above and to one side, will give you
that "north window" style lighting. A matt reflector (white) might be
needed to add a little fill.

My daughter is a master at photographing flowers (close-up and otherwise)
in the studio. I've watched her a lot and seen the results. Spectacular.
Sometimes she uses north facing window light alone. We live in the US. If
we lived in Australia, it would be southern window light... :) Usually she
uses a 2' x 3' soft box and strobe (in the soft box of course...)

http://www.photoflex.com/photoflex/index.html

Jim