Subject: [Leica] [OT] Digital Darkroom and why? (was [OT] Color darkroom worth it?)
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:00:16 -0400

Magnessbill@aol.com wrote:

> I believe Jim is correct, nothing beats a good Ciba print-YET.
> But for me the advantages of running an image through Photoshop, and
> the very high quality of a good inkjet print, and the ease of printing
> with the computer. I can knock off a couple 10x15 prints, after
> dinner, in a half hour and be finished (while Jim is still waiting for
> his chemistry to get up to temp). To me, don't look back, move foward,
> master Photoshop and I believe soon a process will emerge that will
> surpass Cibas.

I am wondering, what is the objective behind those of you using a
"Digital Darkroom" that take it to paper?  I see two different
objectives, one is to reduce the cost of creating prints and/or the
other is to have control over the printing process without the time and
cost of printing it the old fashion way.  Are there any more that I am
missing? (Please keep in mind that I am assuming that the original image
was made on tradition film in a traditional camera, say a Leica maybe.
I am NOT referring to those shooting digital cameras.)

I use a digital darkroom primarily for proofing and to put images on the
web.  What has made be come to truly appreciate a Digital Darkroom is
that I can quickly manipulate my B&W images on the computer so that I
know what I want to do in the tradition darkroom.  But mind you, my
Digital Darkroom work might go to paper, normally not.  When it does, it
is ONLY a proof for the traditional darkroom.

As Ansel Adams once said, "The negative is like a piece of sheet music
and the print is the performance."  For those that are interested in
using a digital darkroom as a tool to control the end result, there are
MANY a lab that will print digital images onto color paper.  I don't
think you will get the results of a Cibas, but I would expect the
results would be superior to that of any inkjet.

I would think that if quality is the most important issue, then printing
the traditional way on Cibas is the only way to go.  But if speed and or
cost is an issue, I would think that a Digital Darkroom is the way to
go.  If you would like the best of both worlds, would manipulating the
image in the Digital Darkroom then sending it to a lab to print it on
photographic paper be the way to go?

Sam

P.S.  There is another very important reason for printing color in a
traditional darkroom.  Because you love it.  Or your annual like me:)

Replies: Reply from "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> ([Leica] Re: [OT] Digital Darkroom and why? (was [OT] Color darkroom worth it?))