Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:16:00 -0400

At 12:33 AM 4/17/02 -0400, you wrote:

>The number of rolls (usually 36 exposures each) ranges from 300 or 400 to
>more than 1000 for complex stories. While this seems high, you must remember
>that professional photographers ³sketch² with the camera, much like writers
>probe with questions to get at the essential information. They explore
>subjects visually by shooting many sides of a subject in many ways. It is
>usually the combination of enough time in the field and enough film exposed
>that provides the depth that has become the hallmark of our coverages."
>
>---
>
>A thousand monkeys, given an eternity and typewriters seem to get results,
>too.  NG's realization rate is absurdly low.  Let's take the low end of this
>estimate.
>

>400 rolls x 36 exposures / 8 weeks (ave) / 7 days = 257 frames per day
>
>or 1 frame every 2.80 minutes over a 12-hour workday.

Dante -

That's not an unusual amount.  Film is cheap compared to how long it takes
to get to some locations.  I usually take 300 rolls for a month long
assignment.  I don't always use them all, but it's certainly better to take
extra than to run out.  When I'm photographing a family from before sunup
until late at night, one frame every three minutes or so would not be
unusual.  I'm usually shooting with three M6's and an R6.2, all with
different lenses and different films.  In very low light I'm bracketing
exposures and focusing.  Now when I'm on vacation, I only plan on about 10
rolls a week, but that's a totally different situation.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com
images available from http://www.pdiphotos.com