Subject: [Leica] Re: National Geographic
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 05:33:05 -0500

Dante:

And?

From what I understand, the photographers are told to go out there and cover
an event/area/whatever.  The storyline may not have even been created yet.
"Come back with pictures that we can use for any story that we decide we
like."

Just because an image isn't used in National Geographic doesn't mean that it
is a horrid photograph.  It means the editors decided to use a different
slant.

To use your thousand monkeys example, it means that if you were to retrieve
the papers from the wastebasket, you might find wonderful poems and
screenplays, but the editors decided they were in the mood for a good
limerick.  :)

Eric

Message from "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu> ([Leica] National Geographic)