Subject: Re: [Leica] Screw mount to M
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 17:49:25 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/02 3:49:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time, msmall@infi.net
writes:

> You have posted this repeatedly.  I don't know what you are "fiddlin'"
>  about with on a Visoflex, but it is a pretty basic apparatus and there
>  really isn't a lot to it -- you just pick it up, sight, focus, and shoot.
>  Metering does require you to look through the RF window but, heck, that
>  just takes a second.
>
>  Let's just say that this is a broad and expansive universe with lots of
>  room for those who dislike the Visoflex and lots of room for those of us
>  who love it.

Marc, I am in perfect accord with your last sentence.

I had the impression that the inquirer to whom I responded was not familiar
with the Visoflex. I have doubts that anyone unfamiliar with the Viso who is
presented with the choice between a Viso with M6 and Viso-to-R or SL adapter
and a Leica reflex will invarialby opt for the latter. I am now prepared to
read that there are people in that situation who claim the reverse. I will
remain a doubter.

I truly don't mean to quibble but for the benefit of unfamiliar souls, it is
not a simple one second task, having focussed, to remove your eye from the
Viso to the rangefinder, meter and return to the Viso viewfinder to find your
subject now out of focus or moving in a different direction. Do you know how
fast a cheetah can run? (that's a joke, Marc!) out of your Viso viewfinder?

That said, before I bought my R3 I used and loved the Viso. And marvelled at
the ingenuity of those gnomes in Wetzlar who brought reflex photography to
Leica and made all those long Leitz lenses work with M cameras.

In my opinion, the Viso is still comfortably usable for macro work and for
use with long lenses when the subject matter lends itself to what I would
call contemplative photography. For any changing, moving fauna, bipeds or
quadrapeds, winged creatures or crawlers, Viso don't cut it.

I am still an adherent to your last sentence.

Seth             LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Peter Hamilton <peter.hamilton3@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Screw mount to M)