Subject: [Leica] Why are professional labs unwilling to do pigment dye transfer and Cibachrome?
From: "Albert Wang" <leica_phile@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:07:54 -0400

Hi everyone,

I called up a few professional labs in the Philadelphia area to check out
their options on color printing and found out there was no one who does
either Pigment Dye Transfer or Cibachrome processing anymore. My question is
why are these standard color processing technique dying out all over? Why
has digital methods taken over? Can a digitally colored print approximate
the quality of the pigment dye transfer or Cibachrome prints? Personally my
gut feelings is that they are not.

I doubt that most standard color processing can be as archival as Pigment
Dye Transfer or Cibachrome but printing on Duraflex seems to be fairly close
in today's world.

Alfie