Subject: [Leica] Recent "death of film" threads
From: "Jim Laurel" <jplaurel@nwlink.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 14:54:27 -0700

It seems to me that it will be a very long time before film completely fades
away from the photographic landscape.  The fact remains that most people
cannot afford the computing equipment and software that it takes to capture,
store, and print photos from digital cameras.  My sense is that there will
always be a market for photographic products aimed at people who just want
to take some snapshots, have them processed and get hard prints in return
without any investment on thier part in either cameras or computer
equipment.

I suppose the real death of film as a commodity will come when one-use
digital cameras with around 2 megapixel resolution and 36 exposure capacity
can be produced and sold for a price lower than today's film-based
products - around $8.  The customer would simply turn it into the 1 hour
stand for downloading and output via inkjet printers.  A CD could even be
offered as part of the 1 hour service.

While I don't have statistics at hand, I recall that the one-use market
represents the majority of film sales for Kodak and Fuji.  I'd bet that this
market is a pretty reliable indicator as to the future of film products.
Also, don't forget that there is alot of film-related infrastructure out
there that has to be fully depreciated before we will see an industry wide
switch to digital.

- --Jim