Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Evangelist gone ????
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:11:51 -0700 (PDT)

- --- "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Sadly, Henry, Leica would rather coat an M6 ttl .58 in
> black enamel and sell
> it as a "special edition" to collectors, than it would
> seriously attempt to
> cultivate and hook the next generation of photographers.

    Actually, I think they are using the idea to get rid of
old stock without resorting "clearance sale" prices to
their distributors.
    Think about the marketing strategy behind mail in
rebates:
  a.  They have fewer angry retailers screaming about
taking a loss trying to move old stock.

  b. They do not have to lower the wholesale prices, so
when the diehards start clammoring for a M6.....

  c. The rebate will probably be spent on an accesory.

    I am sure M6 production was stopped long before the M7
was released.  During the interim they built up stocks of
the M7 to meet the rush, but are passing them out slowly to
keep the feeding frenzy hot.