Subject: Re: [Leica] going digital WAS full time photogs
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 11:20:15 -0400

On 4/9/02 10:34 AM, "Ginex, Mike" <mginex@panynj.gov> wrote:

> Comparing digitial to film to me is not far different from comparing
> traditional music to electronic.

I think it is extremely different. Replacing silver halide with silicon
simply replaces the qualities and methods of one medium with another. The
move from acoustic instruments to electronic instruments has produced a
massive shift in the nature of much recorded music because the number of
human brains involved has lessened. As anyone who's played around with
sequencing software and orchestral samples or indeed simple
guitar/bass/drums programming knows, it is quite impossible to replicate the
qualities of a live band or a live orchestra. You can get sort-of close, but
you can't duplicate the qualities of all those brains working away.

I can't see any parallel with this in the film v. digital debate.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com