Subject: [Leica] M7 More Features; More on Flash; Annoying Feature
From: "Robert Rose" <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 11:09:12 -0800

After getting back the first roll of (Provia 100 F), I conclude that it
is hard to get a bad exposure with the M7.

But it can be done.  There are obviously some situations where I am
going to revert to manual mode, where I don't want the camera to keep
changing the exposure.  I am thinking that in low light situations I
will use manual, so it is not fooled by having a light source too near
the center meter zone.

The low light sensitivity seems much better than with my M6 classic.

Flash was a real surprise.  I jumped from a M6 classic to the M7, and
really did not understand the benefit of TTL.  I put the SF20 into TTL
mode and fired away, changing the aperture at will.  Then I thought I
screwed up, since I didn't stop to change the f/stop on the SF20 to
match the lens aperture.

The pictures were perfect anyway.  A little research disclosed that the
f/stop setting on the SF20 only is for giving you a correct readout of
distance.  If you don't care about that, forget about it and shoot.  The
ISO setting is automatically transferred to the SF20.

NEW FEATURE:  Here is one you have to dig in the manual to find.  When
using flash, the speed readout will blink if the aperture selected will
lead to incorrect exposure.  Example:  You have turned on the SF20 to
TTL, and the M7 is on AUTO.  The speed will be automatically set to
1/50, the number 50 will show in the viewfinder, and the ISO will be
transferred to the SF20.  If the selected aperture on the lens (say f/2
with the 1/50) would lead to an overexposure given the ambient light,
the number 50 in the viewfinder will blink, and you can stop down the
lens to stop the blinking (say to f/5.6).  I am still experimenting
here, but I think the first point the "50" stops blinking is the right
ambient light exposure.  Then you can go, say 1 to 1 1/2 stops more to
lower the ambient exposure versus the flash, or stay at the ambient
exposure and use the exposure compensation on the SF20 to lower the
flash 1 2/3 stops for fill flash.

ANNOYING FLASHING DOT: Well, there had to be something that I don't
like.  There is a dot that flashes in the lower left of the number
display under the following conditions:
If the DX info on the film doesn't match the ISO setting.  Ex:  You set
1200 for an 800 film
If the film can doesn't have a DX code, e.g., IR film.
If you dial in exposure compensation
If there is no film in the camera
If the ISO setting dial is not set correctly

If anyone know how to turn this off, please tell me.  A steady dot is
sufficient for reminding you that the ISO is set differently from the DX
rating or that you are using exposure compensation.  Blinking is
annoying.  The blinking should be reserved for no film, or incorrect
settings.  It seems that you have to use the DX rating or you get the
blinking dot.  Taping over the code just makes it think that it is a no
code can, and it blinks.

Does anyone know where to get DX code strips?  That might be the
solution.  I sometimes want to push a whole roll, and I suppose I could
tape on a new DX code, thereby avoiding the blinker.