Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:15:02 -0800 (PST)

For MOST PHOTOGRAPHERS it is useless and irrelevant. Walk
> in your
> friendly camera store

    Friendly camera stores are disappearing as quickly as
the standard of living is dropping in the US.  Probably
faster.  The standard of ignorance is rising exponentially
as more WalMarts are being built.
    The second largest city in Illinois now has only two
camera stores.  Neither of which is full line.  Discount
merchandisers such a "K's Merchandise" have a few SLRs for
show, but concentrate on point and shoot.  The salespeople
are usually paid minimum wage and their recommendations are
driven by SPIFs.  Most know little or nothing about
photography.
    And then there is WalMart....( not going any
farther...)

> probably doesn't have a clue as the M cameras other than,
> 1) they are
> expensive and hard to sell and 2) Leica USA is difficult
> at best to
> deal with.

  Leica?  What is a Leica?  CONTAX?  We don't sell them
either.  What is a Mamiya?

    Mass market stores only sell mass market items.
Inventory turnover determines what is on the shelf....

  If you're talking to a 'pro' he will tell you
> that he use
> to own an M4 but got rid of it.

    The few "pros" that I still know are paid so poorly
that they cannot afford an expensive camera.  They are
smart enough to know that a percentage of their "earnings"
has to pay for the amortization of the equipment.  And what
is the point of "that Leica sharpness" when their work goes
on newsprint through a 60 or 80 line dot screen? Or its
digital equivalent....
    I know several people who quit when they realized that
they were NOT being paid enough to cover the wear and tear
on their equipment.
    A small city I previously lived in ( about 45,000
including surrounding area) had seven full time studios
when I moved there.  Mostly weddings and portrait stuff.
Now there are only two left full time, a few part-time, and
some "moonlighting" wedding photographers.

> There certainly are groups (LUG, some photojournalists,
> for instance)
> that are true believers.

    I am curious.  Is there anyone on the LUG who earns his
living solely as a photographer ?  No part time school
teachers, or students part-timing. No semi-retired
photographers.  No second jobs.
    Only a full time PJ or studio phnotographer.

    Anyone here qualify?

 They have no use for a Leica
> M. It IS
> useless and irrelevant to most.

    As has been said before: Use the best tool for the job
at hand.
    A Leica M is seldom meant for shooting from 500 yards
or meters.