Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB TELYT LENSES
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:52:21 -0800 (PST)

- --- Joseph Codispoti <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> wrote:
> My reason for the "old types" is the low cost but above
> all the fact that
> they can be adapted easily to other cameras as well as
> the very light weight
> and fast-focus feature. I don't know that the newer
> lenses can used with a
> Visoflex.

    I bought a Viso 3 because I wanted an educational
playtoy.  I did not and do not feel you learn the craft of
photography with automatic anythings.  You do not gain the
experience and ability to recognize and deal with the
non-routine situations except with experience.
    But it is a slow and clumsy affair when you need to
work quickly.
    Because the parts were relatively inexpensive thirty
years ago, ( ie., close-out bin ), I bought the 14167 ( ? )
adapter and removed the Leicaflex flange, had the cam
machined off and added a shim and Nikon F flange.  The idea
was to compare my 90 f/2.0 and 135 f/2.8 with the Nikon 85
and 135 counterparts using the same camera and focusing
method.
    The Nikkors aquit themselves very well.  The clumsiness
of stop-down metering and shooting negates any other
advantage there may be using this arrangement.
    As you have read, I also have used a 200 f/4.0 Telyt on
a Nikon body.  Again, It is a case of "I have the lens and
adapter, so why not go out and play".  But please note that
I said "play".  I am not using this to shoot for $$s.  It
is a clumsy system if you shoot at apertures other than
wide open.  And I often like to go for good depth of field
and a sharp backround.
    At a price of $100.00 +, plus shipping / taxes, etc.,
for an adapter, the whole idea seems counterproductive.
With long lenses an auto diaphragm and TTL metering are
very valuable.
    It seems to me that you would be better served by
getting a used SL or R series camera and using the matching
version of the lenses.  The collectors are driving the
price of many of the older Viso lenses beyond reason.  As
the most pristine examples disappear from the market the
user grades also become more expensive.  Often to a price
beyond logical reasoning (re: ebay prices...).
    I suspect there were more SL and R variants produced anyway.