Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Leica miss the boat on the M7 viewfinder?
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:04:36 -0800

Javier Perez wrote:

> Focusing very fast long lenses is a problem
> if you have high res optics and want to make
> large prints.

True, even with lousy optics and any size enlargements.

>With a long enough base and magnification you could focus
>them more accurately than you could with the eye through a
>viewfinder.This is right up Leitz' alley if the should choose
> to develop it.

I used to shoot a 180mm f2.8 Zeiss Olympia on a Pentax 645 (med.
format).
Depth of field at f2.8 is very slim. To get sharp pictures I would put
it
on a tripod and check critical focus with a eyepiece magnifier.
Of course if you are shooting with a longer focal length than that,
you could always stop down, check your depth of field and set the lens
to infinity...

> As for the M system being near useless,
> if you call being limited to focal lengths from 15 to
> 135 and no CV zooming useful, stick with it.

I wouldn't exactly call the focal lengths from 15 to 135 'limited'.
Up until about 20 years ago, when good zooms became widely available,
photographers got along pretty fine with what you describe.
I don't see what you are getting at with a amateurish statement like
that.

>As for me, I like to take long shots on occasion without
>having to bring along a second system.;-))

So why did you by a rangefinder to begin with? It sounds like you
would be better off with a Nikon or Canon with a wide range zoom.

>Finally, ask yourself why about 90% of the people on this list have
> another system, usually reflex and it's usually their primary system.
> Later
> Javier

Most craftsmen have more than one tool in their kit.
Different types of jobs require different tools.

feli