Subject: [Leica] 21-35R First Slides and first impressions of a "Regular Guy"
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 09:50:18 -0500

- -- Hi Ted, all -

   Just tried out the new 21-35R lens - It's a keeper! As I described
before, it's small and light (with a cheap shade!) but built well. Focus and
zoom rings are smooth, though not quite as nice as say my 35-70 f/2.8. But
onto the photos!

   I don't feel this lens would replace a fixed 19mm or any faster lens up
to 35mm. Optical quality is superb even wide open, however I find the lens
difficult to focus (esp. on ground glass only screens) because of the small
max. aperture. First - I think I can safely say that at f/5.6 - 8.0 you'll
get the best results at any focal length - sharpness to the corners,
performing as a Leica lens ought to. Color rendition (on Provia 100F) is as
other Leica lenses. Wide open at 21, there is a little vignetting; not
noticed unless you photograph blank skies or walls! Distortion and flare
seem well contained - surprise! Center sharpness and contrast seems
excellent! At 24-28, one sees a similar pattern although not as bad with
less falloff. 35mm may be the lens' best focal length. Very good across the
entire field - nice and even and 'contrasty'. Focus holds pretty well as you
zoom through the range, too. These data are from pics of kids on Easter
Sunday, colored eggs and whatnot.... Certainly not as complete as an Erwin
report .... but useful I suppose. In all it's a great optic and I'm happy
with it - it will be a much needed "staple" along with the 35-70 f/4.0 and
80-200 f/4.0 acting as a 'grab setup' ; but I'll keep my 19mm, especially,
for indoor work.
   One note - You need to use Slim filters wit this lens - std. filters will
cut off the image. Feel free to mail along any comments, questions!

   EC