Subject: Re: [Leica] Telyt 400/5.6
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 05:26:30 -0800

on 4/2/02 11:26 PM, Frank Filippone at red735i@earthlink.net wrote:

> I just read that this lens is a 2 element design....     It also has a
> wonderful following among the knowledgeable.  If the lens is truly a 2
> element design, part of te successful imaging quality of the lens is due to
> the limited air to air spacing.. Each lens to air space acts as a parial
> mirror, causing loss of contrast and reducing imaging accuracy.  The succes
> to some extent, is due to its very simple design.
>
> Back to basics.. you want a good lens, use a simple design.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net

Disadvantages of this design are long physical length and some field
curvature.  I had one for a year or so (had to raise cash so I sold it) and
the image quality is amazing, very similar to the f/6.8 Telyt.  WCi has a
sale on drum scans right now so maybe I'll get one of the chromes from that
lens scanned.  I'll be in the market for another one eventually.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com