Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens caps
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 14:09:58 -0800 (PST)

- --- Michael Gerard <geeman1066@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I feel a bit ridiculous posting such pedestrian
> questions,
> but here goes:  I'm looking for lens caps for two lenses.
> First, I just bought a 90 mm Elmarit 2.8, serial 2128xxx.
> I need both front and rear lens caps.  I also have a
> collapsible
> Summitar 50mm, 721xxx that I need a rear lens cap for.
> I can tell the rear lens caps are different sizes, and
> I've tried
> three local stores, two of which carry Leica equipment,
> and
> one of the three offered to order the lens caps at $30 a
> pop!

    Check with the used market.  I would not offer
ridiculous amounts on Exxx, but it should give you an idea
of the top price to pay.  If you have a flea market, OOPS,
Camera Show coming to your area, that may be a good
opportunity.  But do not go without some knowlege of
realistic values.

> I'm not vain, and want to find a cheap cap that will
> protect my
> lenses without setting me back a fortune. Any help will
> be
> appreciated.

    Since the lenses neither know or care, you might see if
there is a "generic" cap available.  When I wanted some
extra M caps, I bought some of the Minoltas.  They fit just
fine.