Subject: Re: [Leica] Broadband, (was: Another Dante PAW)
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@idea-processing.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:05:16 -0800

I was listening to NPR last week, I think to the Todd Mund show, who was
interviewing a teckie person. He observed that the difference between not
having the net, and having a 56k modem connection, is smaller than the
difference between having broadband and a 56k modem connection.

I agree with this. I used to have a dual-channel ISDN connection, now DSL.
Both were always on - but the DSL (actually ADSL since it's fast coming
down but slow going up to the net) makes a vast difference.

Broadband, because it's always on, does expose your computer more often to
the malign effects of hackers and script-kiddies but I admit that I'm a Mac
person and haven't had a problem. Using both OS 9 and Mac OS X my systems
have not been hit - although the internal firewalls on Mac OS X routinely
detect breakin attempts. Adolescents should NEVER be allowed near
computers. Geesh.

Anyway - if you can get broadband definately go for it!

Adam