Subject: RE: [Leica] M7 Metering
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 06:34:08 -0800

Pascal, an open discussion.....

The metering pattern of the M6 ( which I own) consists of a circle of 2/3
the height of the frame.  an 18mm diameter spot.  There is no component of
light that is collected from the rest of the frame.  Therefore I call the
meter a SPOT METER.  Now, as a spot meter, it is not too narrow, but I did
want to differentiate the difference to say the Matrix metering on a Nikon
F4, etc.  On this type of camera, the pattern is an overall 24x36 pattern,
weighted, and specially calibrated against a series of possible images.  The
uP inside the camera decides the correct exposure based upon theses stored
scenes.  I guess the R8 works this way.  ( I don't have an R8, so I am not
sure.)

But what I was trying to capture is that the M7, with its AE mode, will NOT
give the same resultant of exposure from a scene as a more "intelligent" uP
controlled camera.  And the fact that the AE mode is there, gives the user a
false sense that the exposure is "right".  You MUST use your God given Brain
to get good exposures with a spot meter.  It may be automatic, but whatever
you point the meter at, will set the exposure AUTOMATICALLY.  I think the
word automatically is the operative word.

If I had one, I would use the AE mode when in a pinch or when the lighting
is flat and the scene not too different in tonal range.  Otherwise, you are
probably best off in match light mode.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net