Subject: [Leica] Cheap R8's available!
From: David Young <youngs@islandnet.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:13:54 -0800

Hello!

My Leica habit started, way back when - with the, then new, Leica CL. Then
an M3-DS. I moved to 'R's with the R3.  Eventually I upgraded to the R5 and
with the addition of an R6 I owned, for the first time, two Leica's at
once! At least, I did, until this horror story.

I've just returned from 5 weeks in Thailand and while there, in 3 separate
accidents, I managed to throw my R5 and 3 lenses on the floor - doing
serious damage to all! One fall compressed the 5's mirror box, reducing the
registration distance by some .5mm! The 5 appeared to function perfectly,
but the compression meant that all my photos were about as sharp as a
disposable providing there was sufficient light to shoot at f5.6 or
smaller. Otherwise they were VERY soft. :(

When I returned home, I adjourned to my basement office to examine the
items carefully and write a full report for the insurance adjuster.  You
see, just 4 days before leaving, I had the forethought to purchase an
all-risk, no deductible "floater" on my home insurance to cover the
equipment I'd be taking.  I have not purchased such coverage in over 25
years, though I did for many years before that - without ever having a claim.

The report finished, I placed the camera bag on the floor (so it couldn't
fall far - I'd done enough of that!) and headed upstairs for dinner.

The next morning I awoke to find my sump-pump had failed and the basement
(including my camera bag) was under 2 1/2" (6.25mm) of water!  I can tell
you, it's not nice to pick up a 90 Summicron-R and pour a half cup of water
out of it!  Got almost as much out of the R5!  (I hate to think what that
did to the shutter!)

The good news is that I had paid Cdn$1000 for my used R5 some 8 years ago
and last week it was replaced by a shiny, new R8! My 24mm is also being
replaced and the 90 and 180 are both in Toronto being rebuilt at the modest
cost of Cdn$1,400 each!  Not a bad return for a $126 premium!

The R8 *is* big, as I've heard many complain.  But it fits the hand like a
glove - even my wife's tiny hands find it comfortable! With a 40 year old
50mm Summi (functioning only because it stayed home!), it produces sharper,
better exposed photos than I've ever obtained before. And the R8 has the
most accurate exposure meter I've ever seen! :)  Truly, an amazing camera.

The bad news is that I'll likely not see my 90 or 180 for several months,
for many parts have to be ordered from Germany.  :(

So, if you's like to upgrade to a nice, new R8 - on the cheap, they *are*
available... though I suggest you avoid the flood!

Happy Easter to all!

David Young        | Experience gained varies directly
Victoria, CANADA   | with equipment ruined.

Replies: Reply from David Young <youngs@islandnet.com> ([Leica] RE: Cheap R8's available!)