Subject: Re: [Leica] Korean police action photogs - And the Roll of the Rollei
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 09:38:12 -0500

on 3/29/02 1:37 AM, Marshall Hunt at huntmc2@fuse.net wrote:

> It was a matter of film.  You used a Rollei for B&W, and a Leica for
> Kodachrome. Printers didn't like to make plates from 35mm so you would dupe
> them to 4x5 to make a sale.
> I remember we engaged a commmercial photographer to shoot a railroad
> accident, and he ran out of film pack for his Speed Graphic. I "just
> happened" to have a Rollei in my car, and I finished the shoot.  The next
> time he was hired, he had a Rollei, too, and lots of film.
> Rollei used to advertise that they won all the Pop Photo Contest awards,
> and had a photo of Sophia Loren surrounded by papparazzi, all using Rollei.In

In 1959 I went to work for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram(Texas) shooting with
Leica equipment.  One photographer used Rollie 50% of the time and the
sports guy was trying Nikon rf.  The Hasselbald distributor was pushing
their products with a special press sales rep.  The super-wide was really
pushed hard.  The paper issued all photographers a 4x5 and stuff and the
other 5 photographers all used them.  Six months after I started two had
added 35mm equipment.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander