Subject: RE: [Leica] was leica marketed as a professional camera or a hobb iest camera?
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:22:42 -0500

Kyle, you should get a copy of the 15th edition (I think), the one published
in 1973.  Some really good articles geared toward the at least advanced
amateur level.  And some excellent photos as well, with a great
photojournalism section with PP winning photos from Vietnam taken with
Leicas.  Borrow it from the campus library, or pick up cheap at a swap meet.
Sell the earlier version on ebay as a rare collectable for a tidy profit.
;-)

As for who Leica markets to, since the early 70's when I started looking at
the sales brochures in camera stores, it was never clear that it is either
pro or am.  Certainly never like Canon or Nikon that used the "system" angle
(multiple screens, motor drives, various prism options, bulk film backs,
large lens selection, etc.), which did appeal to the pros, I think.  So I am
guessing it was a subtle message that the well healed amateur could shoot
like a pro with a Leica (the brochures did have some marvelous photography).
I can say that in my hometown in the 70's all the young photojournalists
used Nikons with the huge multi-colored guitar straps for neck straps.  The
older PJs used Rolleiflex.  Not a Leica in sight.  I bet it wasn't very
different in most other places.

BK