Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Eric's PAW week 13
From: "dante@umich.edu" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:10:09 -0500

Eric:

As printed (scanned?) it has too many midtones.  What you need is more
shadow and possibly more highlight.

Midtones are a relative word -- if you hit the shoulder of the film in terms
of overexposure, then everything is a highlight (compared to the film base)
and the result is that everything in the output is then a flat midtone.
Sounds weird, but having a good tone range depends on differentials in the
density of the neg.  Neopan has quite a shoulder and it is actually a little
better to err on the side of underexposure.

I shoot a lot of Neopan 1600, but I am a bigger fan of processing TMX for
the same effect at 400, because then you have an adequate margin with
shutter speeds to prevent overexposure.

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/tmx.html

Dante