Subject: [Leica] just got an M7
From: rclompus@cox.net
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 21:23:57 -0500

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

I've been away from the list busy launching a new progressive spectacle lens with Johnson & Johnson.  Two weeks ago I picked up a new M7 with winder from Stan Tamarkin in NY.  It was sent to his new shop location by courier from Leica in NJ.  I was a accustomed to using M6's with the Abrahamson winder.  Even though I love these cameras, the M7 is a completely different experience.  I no longer have to hear "take the picture already" from family members waiting for me to adjust the aperture, shutter speed and focus.  I shot some street photos in Roanoke this past weekend and I preset the aperture for wide open (I learned from Ted to use and trust the wide apertures)and simply focused and shot.  No delay, quick wind to the next frame.  It was an entirely different experience.  Handheld with the 50mm Summilux wide open at 1/15.  The Velvia slides are very sharp with that razor thin depth of field to bring your attention to the subject's eyes.  I have never felt more confident in taking photos knowing that I would probably use the meter setting anyway.  Exposures are right on.  I even tried some flash shots to prove to myself that the exposure would be determined through the lens.  I don't really like using flash but it worked none the less.

The soul of the M6 is still there with the addition of aperture priority auto exposure that most camera manufacturers added 25 years ago.  What a pleasure to go shooting knowing that there is one less thing I have to be concerned about.

Should your budget permit (as well as your marriage partner)I would highly recommend the M7.  I am proud of Leica to take the route of updating but not changing.  I heard that the top of the camera is now brass.  I wonder how long it will take to wear off some of that black anodized coating.  It would be nice to see brass again instead of zinc.

Notice I did not reference lawyers once in this email - until now.

Happy shooting,

Richard Clompus, OD
Roanoke, VA

Replies: Reply from "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net> (Re: [Leica] just got an M7)