Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: How to lie with a camera
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 07:42:19 -0800

Sorry about that last one hit the send key before I spell checked.
This is a cleaned up version.

I've had a similar experience with The Rolling Stone. In 1991-92, I
covered the drywaller strike, with my Leicas no less. for The Carpenter
magazine. An assistant photo editor called for materials on the strike.
They used one of photos of a picket line, the rest they imported a
photographer_from the outside_of the events, recording only the
aftermath. The rest came from newspaper and TV sources.

As it turned out, the imported posed the key full page shot of the
drywallers in a V. The only thing wrong, was that they placed the only
recoginzable_white guy_in front, implying that he was the leader of the
action. Apart from the successful RICO Suit that used the article for
evidence, we had some really angry Latino workers who felt that a racist
manipulation had taken place. Of course, The Rolling Stone was clueless,
and still is to this day.

Now when I skim through The Rolling Stone magazine, I don't even bother
looking at the articles on the national issues. Although I have to
admit, I came perilously close with this current issue, as an
acquaintance, Robert Yager, shot this current piece on immigrants. He
uses an M6 with a 35mm f14. APO Summilux for much of this kind of work.
Since we're on the subject, R. Yager is a British immigrant, who learned
photography over there. Does that make a difference in his shooting style?

Slobodan Dimitrov