Subject: [Leica] I fondled the M7...
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:55:12 +0100

...earlier today at a Leica event held at Zurich's largest photo dealer,
Foto Ganz. I was very pleasantly surprised, and I think I want one. This
is a true Leica in every respect; holding it and looking at it, it feels
and looks exactly like my M6. It is only the little but important
details which give it away: the redesigned film speed dial on the back,
which now also includes a DX setting and exposure compensation dial; the
fact that the film speed dial can now turn 360 degrees in either
direction; the little but oh so practical on-off switch under the
shutter release which also blocks the release and thus prevents battery
drain; and of course the AE position on the shutter dial.

Whether this camera is sufficiently different from the M6 to warrant a
new name is irrelevant, although I must say that the new features add up
to a greater difference than that between the M3 and M2 and hence
justify the new name. What is important is that Leica seems to have
listened to the many suggestions from M users and incorporated several
very desireable features without changing the essence of a Leica M
camera. Very well done indeed.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman