Subject: Re: [Leica] Looking for Comments on 80/1.4R
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:50:27 -0800

Frank W. wrote
>>> I find that my 100/2.8APO is sometimes too crispy and contrasty for
> portraits (I use Ultra 100 usually). I'm planning to switch for the
80/1.4R.
> Any idea whether it's a good move?<<<

Frank,
I have and use both the 100 & 80 in my work and I wouldn't be without either
as they are used in different applications. And I sure as heck wouldn't give
up the 100 for the 80, period! Certainly because the 100 is, "too sharp."

When I use the 100 for portraits, particularly women, I use a minimum softar
filter, it's gentle, enhancing and very flattering as it just takes the edge
off the lines that drive women crazy when they see a picture of themselves.
;-)

In this way you're not loosing the great film cutting 2.8 to a lens that
wont be as crispy sharp when you need big-time crispy APO 100 image cutting
clarity.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant.html