Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing x-ray film - how to?
From: Amilcar de Oliveira <amilcar@domain.com.br>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:55:29 -0300

    X-ray films can be very contrasty (and very grainy!). They're made
to be seen in a lightbox and not to be printed or photographed. You'll
lose your shadows if you keep your highlights. It's difficult to know
beforehand what the contrast will be, depends on the region imaged and
the radiologist's taste in exposure and contrast. Take a macro lens to
read small areas with the R8's spotmeter. Maybe you will need to give a
controlled fog second exposure (without x-rays on the lightbox, place
the lightbox on zone II or III; you should really test beforehand) to
raise the shadows.

Good luck,

Dr. Amilcar de Oliveira, DDS
Professor of Dental Radiology