Subject: Re: [Leica] Keepers [was: David Bailey...]
From: "Kevin Argue" <kargue@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:26:26 -0500

Bob- BBC Television produced a wonderful documentary on HCB for his 90th
birthday. The historic footage showed him dancing around the streets of New
York taking photos. Eve Arnold talked about this in the program. For those
that a critical of HCB, they should have been in London a few years ago
during his 90th birthday. 4 exhibitions including  the 'Tete a Tete' at the
National Portrait Gallery which was quite full during my visit.
One thing to think of is HCB used a Leica  M with only a few lens, no
flash,motordrives, or extremely wide lens. He used HP5, and had it printed
one way- normal contrast. No over printing(Don McCullin Photos), extreme
burning(SIEF PHOTO), or too much contrast. Pure photos! How can you not
enjoy great images produced that way.
Excuse while I go find my HCB collection!

Kevin Argue
St. Catharines, Ontario
kargue@sympatico.ca