Subject: [Leica] Re: Someone elses photo trip
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 13:04:11 -0800 (PST)

- --- Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@wyoming.com> wrote:
> Good evening;
>
> It seems Doug and I are both going to be in your neck of
> the woods.  My
> family and I are doing a genealogy trip from May 19-June
> 2/3.

    My wife is from the Galena area, so I am somewhat
familiar with that neck of the woods......

1.  Get a copy of the DeLorme Atlas and Gazeteers for
Illinois, Indiana and perhaps Wisconsin.  The detail and
info is incredible.  And the "paper" copy is readable in
the camper.

2.  Get in touch with the State and regional tourism
agencies.  Yhey will send you free state maps and local
info.  Many Illinois State Parks have camper hook-ups at
very low prices.

3.  If time permits, you might like to come across through
Nebraska, and Missouri.  The Missouri river valley will be
wonderful in the late spring - early summer.  Many of the
old river communities have been revitalised.  The culture
was origionally  1840s-50s German immigrant.  Much of the
architecture still reflects that influence.  And for the
past forty years people have been restoring the vinyards
and wineries.

4.  You could easily spend a week in the St. Louis area
alone.  They have one of the finest free public zoos in the
country, along with a large Art Museum.  And there is so
much more.  The old French colonial district south of St. L
is fascinating.  Almost no one seems to know that the
largest and most powerful stone fort in North America was
built by the French prior to the French and Indian War just
forty miles downriver from St. L.  It is now an Illinois
State Historic Site and park.

5.  You have two wonderful choices traveling north from
there.  You can follow the Great River Road along either
bank of the Mississippi all the way to Savannah and then to
Dubuque.  There is camping at the Mississippi Pallisades
State Park as well as commercial campgrounds.  It is tooo
beautiful to drive in a hurry.....

6.  Another choice is to follow the Illinois river from
Grafton to at least Peoria.  You could go all the way to
Chicago and then head back across Northern Illinois. This
is one of my favorite drives at Easter.  The last time I
drove back on a Monday after Easter.  I set the cruise at
50, rolled down the windows and just rubbernecked the whole
way.  No traffic to speak of that day.  We had some of the
best river catfish I have ever tasted at a little mom & pop
place in Meredosia, IL.

7.  If you come across Iowa, be sure to time you travels so
that you hit the Amana Colonies at mealtime.  Good german
food and a neat place to visit.

Sounds like you will ahve to make two trips  LOL.