Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M6 Leica Sales Where you live
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:50:08 -0800

Ernest Nitka wrote:

> Syracuse, NY - very few if any items. Was one dealer who used to display his
> own M equipment but if you ask to buy he then informed you it was not for
> sale.  Most equipment is in the hands of a few users and not in store
> fronts.  For those of us our Haj ( ?spelling) is to go down to Tamarkin or
> other stores and pray before the altar Leica ( as I will be doing in one
> month :)
>
> ernie

Here in LA Samys seems to have a good turn over in LTM and M gear. They
have several large display cases, which appear to get refreshed quite
often, which surprises me since their prices seem fairly inflated (over
$1000 for a IIIf in ok condition?). BelAir camera has a R and M display
with some vintage gear that appears to be moving. They have a "0" series
which is gathering dust. But they seems to sell a lot of digital gear or
at least that is what the sales guys are pitching. Medium format seems
to be moving at both stores. But one thing I noticed is how many people
I see with digital cameras at let's say the Getty. Many of the Aisian
tourists are shooting digital, oddly enough more men than woman. The
woman seem to carry 35mm PS or APS. Also good smattering of disposable
cameras, PS, a few old Nikons, Canon etc. and only two other Leicas; a
black M6/Tri-Elmar and a M4/50mm Summicron carried by a chap who looked
like Gary Winograd's (sp?) spitting image. A few weeks ago I was
wandering around up there with my IIIc, when I was stopped by a elderly
Japanese gentleman. He gestured at the IIIc, and told me that he had one
when he was younger, except that his had been black. It's at moments
like that, that it dawns on you that the piece of metal hanging around
your neck is 57 years old and still working.

feli