Subject: Re: [Leica] I am probably crazy, but...
From: Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:37:33 -0500

Doug Lee wrote:

> I am being asked because the parent organization
> cannot afford to pay a professional.

> BTW, 180 kids plus teachers!

Doug,

When you say 180 kids, I assume that they want to be one huge group,
correct?  Is this to say that they are not expecting to make any money?
Are they expecting to get all your time and effort, not to mention your
years in learning how to shoot, for free?  More importantly, are you
interested in making this the first step towards using photography as a
second income?

Lots of folks have given some really good advice on how to shoot the
group.  I, too, would like to thank them.

My first thought is to charge enough for each 8x10 to make a respectable
profit.  Your time is worth something and if the parent organization is
not willing to pay, at least make a bit off the parents.  If you want to
use this to launch a little photography business, I would personally
recommend renting a medium or large format camera for the shoot.  I
shoot all three formats and there really is a big difference even in a
8x10, especially when you get to large format.  I think the parents will
be much more impressed if they can clearly see their kids face.  With
35mm and 180 kids, I just don't think the neg is large enough to really
be able to see any of the kids faces.  If this is only a one time deal,
shoot the slowest film you can in your current 35mm camera:)

Sam Carleton

Replies: Reply from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] I am probably crazy, but...)
Message from "Doug Lee" <drlee9@earthlink.net> ([Leica] I am probably crazy, but...)