Subject: Re: [Leica] David Bailey
From: "Rei Shinozuka" <shino@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:27:50 -0500 (EST)

one of the fun things about bailey, from interviews  i've read and some
of his books, is that he loved cameras.  he was always fooling around with
his equipment, and was using subminiature, half-frame, 35, med format,
large format.  in one interview has said he had 70 cameras after getting rid
of a bunch.  he confessed he'd probably be a better photographer if he stuck
to one format.

but i appreciate the fact that he seemed to always be having a good time
exploring and experimenting, even when he was among the most famous photographers
in the world.

- -rei

( a really good bailey interview is in _Fashion: Theory_ Lustrum Press)

> From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
>
> It's not just fashion photography. It has an incredible amount of
> portrait work. A lot of material I've forgotten about.
> The reproduction is exceptional. Better than most's actual prints.
> Slobodan Dimitrov
>
> Guy Bennett wrote:
> >
> > >Picked up a great book called "David Bailey--birth of the cool," by
> > >Martin Harrison. It's at the clearance tables at Hennessey + Ingalls;
> > >http://www.hennesseyingalls.com/
> > >It's a first edition for $29.95. If any of you haven't seen the images
> > >from this era, this is a feast for the old eye balls. Lot's of 120 work
> > >with a smattering of 35.
> > >Slobodan Dimitrov
> >
> > Though I'm not a huge fan of fashion photography, Bailey's stuff I like a
> > lot, particularly the work in that book. I believe it was on the David
> > Bailey of that period that Antonioni based the main character of "Blow Up,"
> > or so they say.
> >
> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Guy

- --