Subject: [Leica] Re: Velvia
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 10:59:07 -0600

There have been some interesting comments on Velvia.
I can understand that some do not like it. Those of you with an eye
for delicate color are no doubt offended by Velvia's palette.
In the world of publication--editorial, commercial and
advertising--Velvia has been a popular film among photographers and
buyers. Many pictures are chosen over a light table and believe me
editors and art directors have always liked the initial impression
that Velvia gives. If you want to try an experiment shoot the same
subject on Velvia and Kodachrome. Mix the slides  on a slide sheet
and show them to a friend. The person will be immediately attracted
to the Velvia.
I know that Kodachrome gives more accurate rendition of most colors.
But do you as a picture buyer want to buy a scenic with a grey-blue
sky or one with a bright vibrant blue sky? Do you want an off-green
landscape or a deep rich green landscape ?
One of the initial knocks on Velvia was what it did to skin tones. A
slight reddish. Most of that is taken care of with a slight
over-exposure. (On-the-other-hand, I'll admit that MOST problems with
minor color casts in transparencies can be taken care of by
over-exposure).
I'm not really defending the Velvia "look"--I'm just pointing out
that in the world of picture editors, editors, and art directors
Velvia still has a look that is liked. In the world of stock it sells.
BTW, for a 18+ year old film Velvia does pretty well. Kodak is STILL
trying to catch-up. Their E100VS is pretty good and in fact a number
of pros have switched to it. As has been said already on this string
(by Jim?) it still isn't quite there. In my case I do 98% people and
I like shooting at asa100 as opposed to asa40.
I hope everybody's having a good weekend.
Best,
John Fulton
Fort Worth

Replies: Reply from "David Kieltyka" <dkieltyka@csi.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Velvia)