Subject: RE: [Leica] Negative versus Reversal
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:16:46 -0500

- --On Friday, March 15, 2002 11:48 AM -0500 Austin Franklin
<darkroom@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> I process my own C41 in a Jobo ATL-1000, and I do a couple of things that
>> are supposed to make the archival properties better. First, I
>> finish with a
>> stabilizer bath which many minilabs omit. Second, the film is dried in a
>> film dryer with forced hot air. According to Jobo/Tetenal, "cooking" the
>> stabilizer into the film like this helps achieve maximum archival
>> stability.
>
> Hi Rolfe,
>
> I use a different model ATL (basically same as the 1000, just different
> programmability), and I appreciate your tips very much!  I also have a
> forced air dryer.
>
> Would you mind sharing your times for what color films?

I'm using the Tetenal C41, 5 liter, two bath kits which I've had great
experiences with. I simply use the normal C41, two step program. On rare
occasions, I've pushed C41 a stop (extending color developer time to 4:00)
and found that it works quite well, just picking up a bit of extra
contrast. The film I use the most is Fuji NPH, which I think is a great all
around film.  I've abandoned NPS, since NPH is actually finer grained and
Reala, which for some reason Fuji doesn't classify as a professional film,
is finer grained and sharper than either. The Fuji and Kodak C41 films can
be run together at the same times in the Jobo with no problems. (You may be
aware that Jobo recommends that Fuji E6 [except for Astia] be run 16%
longer in the first developer than Kodak films, which makes it impossible
to run batches of both together).

Since there are 5 liters worth of stablizer, I mix up half and keep it in
an appropriately sized tupperware-style container. I spool each roll of
film off the reel and into the stablizer one by one, for the recommended 1
to 1 1/2 minutes, then hang to dry. When half the developer is gone, I toss
that batch of stablizer and mix up the other half. This has worked out
pretty well for me.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com