Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Velvia
From: John Brownlow <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 13:05:59 -0500

On 3/15/02 12:31 PM, "Jim Brick" <jim@brick.org> wrote:

>> From: Jim Hemenway
>>>
>>> I think that the only thing that Velvia is good for is Autumn and a
>>> visit to the circus
>

>>> The Velvia 'look' is by now an obnoxious cliché.
>>
>>> John Brownlow

> Velvia is neither a film ONLY for Autumn nor is it a cliché. It is a
> marvelous film that continues to amaze me with its capabilities and ability
> to bring out subtile differences in 'scape color values.

I don't agree that Velvia is without its uses, nicely articulated by Jim and
other posters.

Nor do I think that Velvia in itself is a cliché.

But the Velvia 'look' which you see ad nauseum in magazine advertising in
particular, IS a horrible cliché. And even in landscape unless you are
dealing with as Jim says, subtle differences, you run the risk of mickey
mousing all your colors.

If I see another Velvia autumn foliage or flower shot I'm gonna scream.

It's like having your stereo on 11 the whole time.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from Marc Attinasi <marc@attinasi.org> (Re: [Leica] Re: Velvia)