Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctliux Depth of Field Scale
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:34:44 -0800

Karina wrote:
>>> I am not being slack - has anyone documented a DOF table for the
Noctilux - I want to check to see whether my calculations are accurate.
Would like to start memorising focusing distance as I familiarise myself
with this lens - so used to autofocus (F5) that this is going to take some
getting used to.<<<

Karina daughling, ;-)
I just thought I could save you a ton of effort leading to unknown grief
about this depth of field thing on the Noctilux. :-)

Not to fear dear, there isn't any, wide open! ;-) Therefore you don't need
to concern yourself about it if you focus precisely where you want to be
exactly in focus. It's that simple.

Which is the aperture for the maximum Noctilux look at f 1.0. I mean why
spend the kind of money they cost, then not use it at it's maximum best
effect aperture?

And that's why many of us have it, to shoot wide open or maybe a touch down
from there.  Therefore having no concern for that annoying depth of whatever
it's called. ;-) Save any further thoughts of doing a "test-experiment or
whatever as after you've started to use this magical lens you'll not give
depth of field a further thought, as you'll know there isn't any therefore
why worry about! :-)

And you'll go merrily along shooting where others fear to shoot without one
of those Twinkie light things flopping along on the top of the camera.
Although Tina made me a believer in the SF20 flash detuned right down as a
wink fill that you can hardly tell it's there. :-) I've only used mine with
the R8 and await my M7 to give it a try on an M camera. Although I have a
creepy feeling if I do, some creature monster will devour the SF20  or
worse, me for using flash. ;-)

So my dear lady get that Noctilux attached, don't worry your pretty little
head about depth of field  (OK you've been here long enough now, that we can
expect to see all kinds of posts "you can't say that as there's a depth of
field and she should know what it is etc etc etc!"

Pay them no heed, just go shoot wide open and in short order you'll have the
critical focus thing worked out and as happy as a clam in clamatto juice.
;-) Of course liberally swimming in Vodka! ;-)

Trust me, you will have to shoot an extra roll or two, maybe more, until you
get the feel of exactly where to focus it. Why?  Well there isn't any depth
of field to cover yer buns if you happen to be a sloppy focusing shooter. No
offence, as I'm not saying you are. It's just some folks aren't cool at
focusing right on the mark, and become frustrated with a Noctilux.

Just shoot with it and have fun looking at pictures the likes you've never
done before. :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant