Subject: [Leica] Re: OT Wandering: Motor Scooters
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:08:59 -0800

Bob,

in addition to the brands you mention, Honda , Yamaha, and Kawasaki make
"copies" of the Vespa (Piaggio) which was the originator of the scooter
industry.

Scooters come in two and four stroke models. The 4-strokers do not need
fuel/oil mixing and are easier on the environment.
Aprilia http://www.aprilia.com/ridezone/ita/models/ridefr.htm is perhaps the
premier European builder of scooters which are available in several cubic
displacements and configurations.

There is no question that for maneuverability and parking they are far
better than automobiles. However, two wheel vehicles are more expensive to
maintain than automobiles, several times more. Prices for insurance, safety
equipment, tires, parts and repairs,  labor, far surpass the cost of
maintaining an economical car. But you do save on gas.

Scooters are good introductions to the world on motor transportation for a
youngster. If you decide to get one, try for one with larger wheels, they
handle better and are safer then the small wheeled ones.

Joe Codispoti