Subject: RE: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:18:16 -0500

> > Just FYI, higher values of dMax, whether valid or not, are ONLY
> applicable
> > for positive film.  Standard negative film (B&W or color) does
> not need a
> > dMax over 2.8.
> >

> So then if I'm getting blocked up highlghts on negative film, it must be
> just a software problem. Anyone know what to change? It's a Nikon LS-2000,
> with Nikon Scan 2.5 (as I'm on NT.)

Hi Michael

Blocked can mean either they're clipped in the setpoints, or compressed in
the tonal curve.  My first guess is setpoints.  Try setting them manually,
and if you don't know how to do that, I strongly suggest learning.  They KEY
to getting exceptional scans is learning how to set the setpoints, and the
tonal curves...either guiding the automatic settings to do it, or doing it
manually.

Automatic setpoints typically have a specific area that you may be able to
adjust...make sure it's in an area where there aren't any dust particles,
but has the whitest white you want to see (and the blackest black).

Regards,

Austin

Replies: Reply from "Michael Abbott" <lists@mabot.com> (Re: [Leica] Scanner Suggestions)