Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions on Photo book publishing ideas
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:52:06 +1100

>Being unemployed and able to live off of a meager amount of money, I
>am thinking of publishing a book of my photographs.
>I am hoping this could support me enough to continue taking photos
>and living in China!
>I can handle all of the publishing (I live in China, where most
>books are published anyways).
>
>What I want is a general idea of what prices I could charge in the
>USA for say an A4 sized hardcover with 50-100 pages mostly b&w with
>some color?
>Any other format/price suggestions?
>Many of you have seen my phots posted through the LUG, Does anyone
>think I could ACTUALLY SELL any of these books if they where printed?
>What might be a good number of copies for the first run?
>Any ideas on places to sell them?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Jonathan

Jonathan,

you are clearly in a place where images are exotic enough to sell,
and I for one think your images are good enough. The publishing world
is a funny place. I'm not sure about china, but in the medical field,
if you have a book accepted by an Australian publisher, you will
receive royalties for Australia ONLY. ie if they print and sell your
book in the UK or USA, you get best wishes  -- therefore at least
with medical texts, you need to have a publisher with houses in UK
and USA, so that you get royalties from both.

This is my only experience. I do have some people sniffing around the
FOM2 project both as an exhibition and for publishing, but I've not
followed that up yet --- I want to get 2 or 3 good years under the
belt, and then begin the hard work of setting up the offshoots

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com